■ Understanding of payments for which withholding tax obligations should be considered.
■ Gain an overview of latest developments on this the withholding provisions to ensure compliance and to avoid paying penalties.
Social media marketing has become a big business in Malaysia. Do bloggers, Youtubers and influencers need to pay tax in Malaysia and are they subjected to tax in other countries as well?
- Overview of the current WHT regime.
- Sharing of insight on IRB’s focus area.
- Responsibility of the payer- compliance with WHT laws.► Purpose and objectives of withholding tax.
- Payments that are subject to withholding tax:
- Interest (S109)- Royalty (S109)
- Service fee (S109B)
- Rental of movable property (S109B)
- Gains or profits under S4(f) (S109F)
- Public entertainer fee (S109A)
- Contract fee (S107A)
- Withholding tax on Digital Services.
- Do bloggers, Youtubers and influencers need to pay income tax in Malaysia and to other countries as well?
- Recent tax cases on Withholding taxes
Yong Mei Sim has served over 35 years in the Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia (“IRB”) and held the last position as the Principal Assistant Director of the Penang branch, before retiring in 2016. She obtained a Bachelor of Science Degree majoring in Economics with a Second Class Upper from the University Science of Malaysia in Penang. She was later awarded the prestigious JPA scholarship to pursue and successfully completed her Master’s of Science in Taxation from the Golden Gate University in San Francisco, USA. During her tenure in office, she has been, inter alia, an audit manager in charge of the Payroll Taxes Unit, Field Audit and Desk Audit Unit. She had actively assisted the Federal Councils of the IRB in handling tax litigation cases. Among the landmark tax litigation cases which she was directly involved are ICTSB vs DGIR, PSSB vs DGIR and Marigold (M) Sdn Bhd vs DGIR. With her vast knowledge and experience in the field of Malaysian taxation, she has been invited by the IRB and other professional bodies to speak extensively around the country and to share her valuable experience and expertise on income tax updates and all other relevant taxation matters.