- This event has passed.
Looking at things from the perspective of IRB rather than from the taxpayer’s perspective. If you think you can completely avoid a tax audit, you can’t. No one can promise you that you will never be audited. This module is to provide some useful information based on actual practical experience on what are the common tax errors often committed by taxpayers in tax reporting and failure to seeing and understanding things from the Tax Revenue perspective.
- Sharing practical experience from the perspective of the IRB.
- What does it mean to seek professional experts to deal with the Inland Revenue Board? Should you ‘do-it yourself’ or seek professional help?
- Taxable and non-taxable income – based on current legislations, recent tax cases, Public Rulings and Practice Notes.
- Non-Deductible Expenses/ Prohibited Expenses – based on recent tax cases.
- Capital Allowance and tax incentives– what are the common mistakes made in claiming these items?
- Stay current with the latest tax updates.
- Sharing a practical experience from the perspective of the IRB.
- Taxation in the era of the globalization and digital economy.
Yong Mei Sim has served over 35 years in the Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia (“IRB”) and held the last position as the Principal Assistant Director of the Penang branch, before retiring in 2016. She obtained a Bachelor of Science Degree majoring in Economics with a Second Class Upper from the University Science of Malaysia in Penang. She was later awarded the prestigious JPA scholarship to pursue and successfully completed her Master’s of Science in Taxation from the Golden Gate University in San Francisco, USA. During her tenure in office, she has been, inter alia, an audit manager in charge of the Payroll Taxes Unit, Field Audit and Desk Audit Unit. She had actively assisted the Federal Councils of the IRB in handling tax litigation cases. Among the landmark tax litigation cases which she was directly involved are ICTSB vs DGIR, PSSB vs DGIR and Marigold (M) Sdn Bhd vs DGIR. With her vast knowledge and experience in the field of Malaysian taxation, she has been invited by the IRB and other professional bodies to speak extensively around the country and to share her valuable experience and expertise on income tax updates and all other relevant taxation matters.