This workshop seeks to focus on the integral role played by tax agents, tax consultants or tax advisers in the self-assessment system in Malaysia, defining the roles and responsibilities it entails as well as the preparations behind the successful handling of an interview for approval or renewal under Subsection 153(3).
1. Role and responsibilities of tax agents under the self-assessment regime
2. 7 key essential requirements for all tax agents
3. Importance of getting clients’ tax matters right the first time
4. Meaning of reasonable care / arguable position
5. Tax agent’s risks under ITA 1967
6. Guide to handling an interview for approval/renewal under Subsection 153(3)
Karen Koh Sai Tian has served more than 35 years with the Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia where she has handled Personal Tax, Corporate Tax, Real Property Gains Tax, and Stamp Duty. She has vast experience as a tax auditor, investigator, and trainer at various Branches/ Divisions of IRBM. Her career has included stints as Director of the Investigation Centre in Kluang, Johor, Co-ordination Director at the Putrajaya State Director’s Office as well as Director of Special Division at the Large Taxpayer Branch. Her final posting was as Director of IRBM’s Large Taxpayer Branch. She has also been a regular speaker at various in-house and external events hosted by IRBM as well as an invited speaker at a number of organisations. Karen holds a Bachelor of Accounting from the University Malaya. She is a Chartered Accountant of MIA, Fellow Member of CTIM, Certified Training Professional (ARTDO), Certified Fraud Examiner (ACFE, Austin, Texas), Certified System Investigator (ACSI, Singapore), Certified Financial Planner (FPAM), and a Registered Tax Agent.