Tax strategies that are responsibly formulated can lead to significant cost savings and increased profitability for companies. To achieve this, companies may need to structure the organisation to gain the most advantageous tax position and to devise an efficient tax strategy which can be supported by commercial justification and substance to reduce the overall tax liability.
Designed specifically for tax and finance leaders, this workshop will assist participants in understanding tax strategy for companies.
• Tax avoidance vs Tax Strategy
• Corporate restructuring and tax strategy
• Transfer of share/assets/business operations – related income tax, Real Property Gains Tax (RPGT) and stamp duty implications
• Profit extraction tools
• Related party transactions and tax implications
• Carry forward of losses and capital allowances
• New vehicle vs existing company
• Financing the restructuring – equity vs debt funding; hybrid instruments
• Inbound and outbound investments – discussion on exit strategies, withholding tax and Permanent Establishments
• Case Studies
At the end of this workshop, you will:
• Understand key risk areas, recent developments and common errors in tax strategy
• Develop skills to prioritise and identify key issues relating to tax strategy
• Gain practical knowledge by working through case studies to improve your tax compliance and avoid tax avoidance schemes
• Learn how to mitigate tax liabilities and achieve cost savings for your business
Harvindar Singh is a Fellow of Chartered Association of Certified Accountants and is a member of the Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA) as well as the Chartered Tax Institute of Malaysia (CTIM). Harvindar was attached to the firms of PWC and E&Y as a tax consultant and is currently the Managing Partner of Harvey & Associates, a boutique firm that specialises in taxation consulting services as well as the Tax Partner in SCS Global Consulting (M) Sdn Bhd. He has more than 25 years of experience in the field of taxation. He is currently serving as the Chairman of the Editorial Board of the Budget Commentary and Tax Information Booklet which is produced jointly by MIA, CTIM and MICPA. Harvindar has extensive experience in taxation advisory, transfer pricing documentation preparation, tax planning as well as tax audits and investigations and he serves as a tax consultant to SK International (M) Sdn Bhd, numerous accounting firms and MNEs.